|| HOMES/RESIDENTIAL II
Compliments of Judy Gleason Classen
Raleigh R. Gleason Home, built 1940
1106 Broadway St.
The original house was painted white, and the address was 408 North
The architectural style is Georgian Revival, four over four
construction, with hipped roof and brick facade. The building contractor
was F. C. McClanahan.
Raleigh R. Gleason purchased the property for the home from the Glass
Estate in the late 1930’s. The “Alberta Glass” home next door once
occupied a part of this lot but was moved over toward the northeast to
allow space for the construction of the Gleason home. At that time the
Glass home was occupied by the family of Henry Lester. On the other
side of the Gleason home is the house referred to as the “Palmer House”
in Minden Memories. During the 1940’s and early 50’s, the Widow
Rathbun and her daughter lived in the Palmer House; later the family of
Davidson Brown (son-in-law) moved in.
Raleigh Rogerson Gleason
was born Feb. 3, 1903 on his father’s farm about 19 miles north of
Minden. He was employed by the American National Bank in Shreveport
until the Great Depression when the bank closed. At that time he moved
with his family to Minden and took a position with the Peoples Bank and
Trust Company, newly founded by his father, William T. Gleason, where he
was employed for over 30 years. At the time of his death on Oct. 24,
1964, he was vice president of the bank and a member of the board. His
widow, Zelma Judith Goodwin Gleason, originally of Texarkana, continued
to live in the home until about 1979 when she moved to Shreveport. The
home was sold to the George French family. Zelma died Mar. 16, 1986.
The Raleigh Gleason family belonged to the First Baptist Church and was
active in many community affairs. Raleigh, Zelma, and their oldest son
Raleigh Jr., are buried in the Gleason family plot in Minden Cemetery,
just off Pine Street.
Gleason & Judy Gleason Claasen, children of Raleigh Gleason
William T. Geason Home
On the SE corner of Elm and Bridwell (324 Elm St.)
The age of the home is unknown. Gleason and his second wife, Annie Lou
Craton, moved there about 1922. He may have been the original owner.
Recollections of the home from the 1940’s include a large basement -
unusual for Minden homes - and beautiful wood paneling in the living
room and master bedroom. Gleason’s property behind the home included a
large open pasture with a stable for horses. Many varieties of roses
graced the lawns.
William Thomas Gleason was born on a farm in Claiborne Parish in 1868 to
a Confederate veteran. His ancestors had arrived in the Massachusetts
Bay Colony in 1652, and his great grandfather, who fought in the
American Revolution, later migrated to Ouachita Parish as one of the
original pioneers of the Monroe area. Shortly after the Civil War,
William’s father moved the family from Claiborne to Webster Parish near
In 1908 William entered the lumber business in the environs of Cotton
Valley and over the next years purchased numerous properties in that
part of Webster Parish. Though he had limited education, he was a true
entrepreneur of his time, buying up lands of little value on
speculation. The first oil well in Webster Parish was drilled on his
property and he built one of Minden’s early gas stations. By the 1930s
and 40s, William owned a number of commercial properties in downtown
Minden which he leased to prominent merchants of the day. During the
Great Depression, when banks were failing, he was able to raise money
among other Minden visionaries to found the Peoples Bank and Trust
Company, now the Hibernia Bank.
As a philanthropist, he was the benefactor of several small country
churches of the area, and donated property to the City of Minden. Called
“Mr. Bill” by the townsfolk, he was often seen on the streets of
downtown Minden, always dressed in a somewhat worn three piece suit and
planter’s hat. William was a member of the First Methodist Church where
his funeral was held September 16, 1947. His widow, Annie, continued to
live in the home until her death in 1952. Both Annie and William are
buried in the Gleason plot at the Minden Cemetery off Pine Street.
William T. Gleason was characterized by a humble manner and a dry sense
of humor. Once a local solicitor for the Red Cross encountered William
outside the Peoples Bank and asked for a contribution. When William
offered a modest amount, the Red Cross volunteer said, "Mr. Bill, you
ought to be able to give more than your son Ernest. He gave ten
dollars." To which William replied, "He can afford it, he has a rich
Sherry, just a couple of other personal thoughts. There was another
Gleason family living in Minden in the 1930s through 1950s. The family
of Durelle Gleason, nephew of William, lived on Lewisville St. His
children served in WW II and the oldest son, B. D. Gleason, was quite a
football hero for Minden High School.
Another son of William, an older brother of Raleigh, was often seen on
the Minden Streets. Ernest Dewey Gleason was twice elected as State
Representative from Webster Parish, and was serving at the time of his
death. His home was near the Evergreen Community on the homestead of his
grandfather. One of Ernest’s sons, Thomas Dewey Gleason, died in a
plane crash while in the Army Air Corps in WW II. They are buried in
the Gleason plot at the Minden Cemetery.
Good luck and best regards, Judy Claassen
This beautiful picture was taken by Linda Holt Moorehead
Harol Lynn Turner Thompson, Judy
Gleason Claassen, and Billie Jean Green
PA2762Murrell & Back Street - Compliments of Special
Collections Louisiana State University,
One University Place, Shreveport, La. 71115-2399
Turner Home -
There is a grave for Bobby Turner in section A of the Minden City
Cemetery born 07 Jan. 1881
died 19 Jan.
1960; beside him is Camilla born 07 June died 1884 died 16 Mar. 1978.
Also in the plot is Goldie
born 11 July 1921 died 14 Oct. 1983 and Robert Berry Turner born 15 Jan.
Happy Turner's Boarding House - formerly Ma Baugh's Rooming House. Mrs.
Lonnie Baugh operated
a family type
boarding house that served family style meals each day. Later her son,
Happy and his wife, Hazel
the business. Salesmen made sure there were in Minden at lunch time so
they could go to "Ma's"
The food was always good, and everybody felt welcome. The Turner's
daughter, Harol Lynn, who is
now Mrs. Delmar
Thompson, still lives here in this area. The home is currently owned by
City Judge John Campbell
and is located
at 501 Fort Avenue. It was built by Ben F. Turner and sold to the Judge
by Happy Turner.
In section B Southwest and West there are markers for
Raymond Turner born 04 Oct. 1920 died 17 Oct. 1920; Haroline Turner born
died 1934. Bennie F.
Turner born 08 January 1983 died 02 May 1934 and Ollie Turner Baugh born
04 September1887 died 10 January 1965.
Garden of Memories,
Garden of the Good Shepherd, Section 4, row 6 section 4, ro2 6 there are
markers for Harold M. Turner born 1911 died 1988 and
Hazell A born 1911
Judy, thank you for for sharing your fantastic history of your family
and the pictures of your friends. It must have been fun growing up in
those lovely homes.