The Post Office
The Corner Store
Heflin, Dubberly & Sibley Lakeside High School Sibley.
Compliments of Vera Wood (She is the one at the very bottom of the page.)
Photo compliments of Vera Wood Weaver
ABOUT HEFLIN, LOUISIANA
The Dorcheat Historical Association and Museum met Nov. 6, for its regular monthly meeting. Richard Noles, superintendent of Webster Parish Schools, was the guest speaker.
He stated that he was the fifth generation to live on the Noles estate in Heflin. In 1980, they built a house a short distance from the place his great-grandfather built his house in 1880.
He told the group about the community of Heflin. Heflin is a place where children are born there, grow up there, get married and whenever it is possible, the families stay in Heflin to build their homes to rear their families. They come back to visit often, feeling a warmness that brings them back again and again.
Some of the early settlers were Heflin, Reeves, Pearce, Bacon, Tomlinson, Felts, Jones, Noles, Mims and others.
In 195, Noles' American history teacher, Mrs. C.F. White, had the class research the history of Heflin using courthouse records, abstract deeds, tombstone data and personal interviews with some of the senior citizens to discover the facts about their great-great-grandfather's days.
In 1836, Vice President Martin Van Buren signed a land grant of about 700 acres to a certain John Knight for $1.25 per acre. Between 1830 and 1840, there was a store called "Nailsville, owned by Mr. Laftus Pearce." Nailsville got its name from a mistaken price set on nails, then sold for two or three cents per pound. When a newly-hired clerk charged the customer 10 cents per pound, the humor in the resulting situation caused the name, "Nailsville," to stick.
Then "Buckhorn" became the center for mail service. The buck's horns over the entrance are said to have given it the name. It was located on Tan Yard Creek near the present intersection of La. Hwy. 371 and 531 leading into Heflin. Tan Yard Creek furnished the water for many vats used in the tanning of hides, so it go the name "Tan Yard." It later became an old swimming hole.
A little farther south, on what is now Hwy. 371, was Whiskey Junction, so called because of the saloon.
L.F. Pace built a modern gin. The cotton farming died and was replaced with cattle ranching, broiler and egg production.
In 1914, "Louis" (L.F.) and "Dallas" D.H. Pace moved there sawmill to be near the J. & A. Railroad in Heflin, after many years of activity near Dubberly. In 1944, Pace Lumber Company sold the mill to Woodard-Walker Sawmill Company. In 1970, they moved from Heflin to Ada.
The "SLB & S Railroad" (Sibley, Lake Bistineau and Southern) ran from Minden to Ringgold stopping at Whiskey Junction.
Education was important, in 1814, Loftus Pearce built a log schoolhouse called "Scrouge Out." Two dollars per student per moth paid the salary of the teacher. Eleven students had to enroll to meet the requirements for holding classes in reading, spelling, arithmetic, geography, history and botany. It burned and in 1918 the last log schoolhouse was built. In 1923, the present building was built and there were four in the first graduating class. They were Guy Harkness, Fred Harkness, Gertrude Barnette and Earle Heflin.
Noles' great-great-grandfather, John G. Noles, built a warehouse on Noles Landing between 1840-1850. This was a regular stopping point for the boats to unload cargo and take on cotton. He had a large warehouse and became quite wealthy.
When the Civil War began, he joined the Confederacy. Noles showed a small pistol, that his great-great-grandfather carried with him during the Civil War. When the Civil War was over, there was no transportation, so he walked home from North Carolina. His wife took care of the warehouse while he was gone. In the springtime, they operated a ferry which crossed to the Doyline side. He demonstrated how they would blow the steer horn when they needed the ferry back. On the horn is 1860, M.J. Noles. John G. Noles died in 1869 at the age of 46 years and was buried on a hill across on the Doyline side. In the early 90s, someone called them about a Granite maker in their yard which read, "John G. Noles 1824-1869." The family had been looking for this marker for many years. All the cemetery is gone except for this marker. The meeting was enjoyed by all and the next meeting will be Dec. 4 and 6.
Compliments of the Press-Herald
SEE ALSO "THE WRECK" for picture of Andrew Chapel Cemetery under STORIES on this site.
1871-1971Webster Parish Centenial
Published by The Police Jury
Submitted by Ann Mays Harlan